I READ : ARTEMIS

by - February 25, 2018

Assalamualaikum. Hi.


Another book from Andy Weir, of course I'm excited. Read about how The Martian is my favourite ever here, I READ : THE MARTIAN. So I was sure Artemis gonna be great too. I don't like books written by male author in the past but judging from all the books I reviewed here (all of them are from male author) it's safe to say my preference on books changed. I no longer could read chic lit like I used to, I don't know why. Age factor I guess?

ABOUT THE BOOK (Goodreads)
Artemis is actually the name on the city on moon. This book is about Jasmine Bashara, a girl who live on moon and work (legally) as a porter and also a professional (illegal) smuggler. She smuggle all sort of illegal items to moon with the help from a friend on Earth. The city is small so not many could afford an decent apartment as they are expensive. Jazz dream is to be rich so she could buy an apartment with bathroom because she hate her current coffin-size apartment and communal bathroom. So when a billionaire offer her a million slugs (sort of Artemis currency) to sabotage the one and only company who control aluminium industry on moon, she accept it. Little did she know the task not only put her life in danger but also put the whole city in danger.

Artemis

FUN FACTS
1. Artemis is actually the name of goddess of the moon. According to Greek mythology, she was the daughter of Zeus and Leto and she was also the twin sister of Apollo.

2. As expected from Andy Weir, he tried to make the science accurate. He took moon condition seriously and incorporate them in this book.

"I tried to be as accurate as possible. It's even more scientifically accurate than The Martian. And in fact, even though it takes place many decades later than The Martian takes place, it has less projected technology, so to speak. Like in the Martian, the propulsion system for Hermes is a VASIMR drive, which exists but would need a lot of development before it got to the point that it was at in The Martian. In Artemis, literally everything there is stuff that is real. All the technology shown in Artemis is real. It exists today. In that form too" - Andy Weir (source : Inverse)

3. SPOILER ALERT
We all know Russia and America are two big power when it comes to space race but in Artemis, it's neither Russia nor America who colonized moon. It was Kenya. What a surprise huh.

WHAT I LIKE 
1. I like the whole storyline. The plots are unexpected. There's one plot twist and when you think that is all, there comes another twist.

2. I'm sorry but that is all

WHAT I DON'T LIKE
1. As usual all the technical thingy because I have poor imagination. At least I watched The Martian before I read the book so I could imagined better. But for Artemis case, I skip most of the technical parts. Feel a little bit guilty for that.

2. Jazz Bashara. I know she's the main character but seriously she was annoying and immature. If not for boobs and all, she is a male for me. And Jazz Bashara is the main reason I don't really enjoy this book.

RATING
5/10

But who knows I might reread this book and love it later when there's film adaptation of it. 20th Century Fox has bought the film rights for all I know. Even though Jazz is a Saudi's girl, I hope they would cast Jennifer Lawrence. Hahaha.

Based on my review, would you include Artemis in your to-read book?

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. tebal buku nih tetapi content nampak menarik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tak tebal sangat. Dalam 300++ pages je but memang menarik ^^

      Delete
  2. bakal diadaptasi kan ke nnt? hmmm sy tgk movie je laa nnt kot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about moon but it sounds quite fairytale heheh ^^ nice review btw :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay because I love Mars and it sounds fairytale too hahaha. Thank you for reading ^^

      Delete
  4. to answer your question:

    as much as i want to read your suggestions, science is seriously not my type..haha..humorous/crimes next please, sebab aku pon xleh masuk with chic lit lately..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science wasn't my type either hahaha. But I don't read crime.

      Delete

Hi, thanks for your comments ^_^